Battista Biggio’s research over the past 15 years has addressed theoretical and methodological issues in the area of machine learning and pattern recognition, in the context of real-world applications, including spam filtering, intrusion and malware detection, and biometric recognition. He has provided pioneering contributions in the area of adversarial machine learning, demonstrating gradient-based evasion and poisoning attacks on machine-learning algorithms, and how to mitigate them, playing a leading role in the establishment and advancement of this research field.
- 2022-present: Associate Professor, University of Cagliari, Italy
- 2015-present: Co-founder and R&D manager of the spinoff company Pluribus One
- 2017-2022: Tenure-track Assistant Professor, University of Cagliari, Italy
- 2010-2016: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Cagliari, Italy
- 2011: Visiting Researcher, University of Tuebingen, Germany
- Ph.D., Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, University of Cagliari, Italy, 2010
- M.Sc., Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari, Italy, 2006 (with honors)
- B.Sc., Electronic Engineering, University of Cagliari, Italy, 2004 (with honors)
Awards and Honors
- Google 2022 Security and Privacy Research Award, sponsored by the Security, Anti-abuse and Privacy teams at Google, for his research achievements in adversarial machine learning.
- 2022 ICML Test of Time Award for the paper: “Poisoning Attacks against Support Vector Machines” (published at ICML 2012).
- 2021 NeurIPS Outstanding Reviewer Award (top 8% reviewers)
- 2021 Best Paper Award and Pattern Recognition Medal for the paper: “Wild Patterns: Ten Years After the Rise of Adversarial Machine Learning” (published on Elsevier Pattern Recognition in 2018).
- 2018 IJCAI-ECAI Distinguished Program Committee Member
- 2014 Premium Award for Best Paper in IET Biometrics journal: “Security Evaluation of Biometric Authentication Systems under Real Spoofing Attacks” (published on IET Biometrics in 2012).
National and International Acknowledgements
- 2020-2021: Italian National Scientific Qualification for Full Professor (ING-INF/05 and INF/01)
- 2017: Italian National Scientific Qualification for Associate Professor (ING-INF/05 and INF/01)
Top Italian Scientists. Dr. Biggio is one of the most cited Italian computer scientists
Top Scientists Ranking for Computer Science. Dr. Biggio is in the Top Scientists Ranking for Computer Science
Publications and Research Impact. Dr. Biggio has published more than 100 papers in scientific journals and conferences, including top-tier conferences in machine learning (ICML, NeurIPS) and computer security (USENIX Sec., NDSS, IEEE Symp. S&P). His H-index is 43 and his papers collected more than 10,800 citations (according to Google Scholar, Nov. 2022). Please refer to his Google Scholar profile page, or to his Scopus profile page for the full list of publications.
Advisory Board Memberships
- 2022: Advisory council member for Bosch AI Shield, Bosch Global Software Tech., India
Leadership in Scientific Associations
- 2018-2021: Chair of the IAPR TC1 on Statistical Pattern Recognition Techniques.
- 2021-present: Member of the ELLIS Society
- 2021-present: Elevated to ACM Senior Member
- 2017-present: Elevated to the grade of IEEE Senior Member
- 2016-present: Member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- 2014-present: Member of the AI*IA, Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence
- 2013-present: Member of the IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society
- 2008-present: Member of the Int’l Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR)
- 2007-present: Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- 2007-present: Member of the IEEE Computer Society
Organizer/Chair of Programme/Technical Committees, Conferences and Workshops (2018-2022)
- 2022: Track chair for AI, Machine Learning for Pattern Analysis at ICPR, Montreal, Canada.
- 2021: co-chair Joint IAPR Int’l Workshop S+SSPR, Padua, Italy.
- 2020: Senior Program Chair, IJCAI-PRICAI, online event.
- 2020: co-chair 3rd Deep Learning Security Workshop, San Francisco, California, USA.
- 2019: co-chair 1st ICML Workshop on Synthetic Realities, Long Beach, California, USA.
- 2018: co-chair 12th ACM Workshop on Artificial Intelligence & Security, London, UK.
- 2018: co-chair Joint IAPR Int’l Workshop S+SSPR, Beijing, China.
- 2017-now: Associate Editor of Elsevier Pattern Recognition
- 2019-2020: Associate Editor of IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine
- 2017-2019: Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems
- 2017-2018: Associate Editor of Int’l Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics
Selected Programme/Technical Committee Memberships in Conferences and Workshops (2020-2022)
- 2023: USENIX Security Symposium
- 2022: 36th Conf. Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS)
- 2022: Int’l Conf. Machine Learning (ICML)
- 2022: USENIX Security Symposium
- 2022: ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS)
- 2022: 43rd IEEE Symp. Security & Privacy (SP)
- 2021: IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR)
- 2021: 35th Conf. Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS)
- 2021: USENIX Security Symposium
- 2021: Int’l Conf. Machine Learning (ICML)
- 2021: Int’l Conf. Learning Representations (ICLR)
- 2021: 42nd IEEE Symp. Security & Privacy (SP)
- 2020: 41st IEEE Symp. Security & Privacy (SP)
- 2020: 34th Conf. Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS)